Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.7% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Austin-Round Rock, TX market declined by 3,471 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.7%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Austin-Round Rock, TX unemployment rate is 68 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 140 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 10.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 255,000; +1,700
- Transportation & Utilities: 198,600; -700
- Government: 189,000; +1,800
- Education & Healthcare: 140,600; -1,600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 136,400; +1,600
- Financial Services: 75,200; -600
- Construction, Mining: 72,100; -800
- Manufacturing: 69,400; +400
- IT & Development: 49,300; +700
- Other Jobs: 44,800; -900
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.