Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.9% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which lost 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Anniston-Oxford-Jacksonville, AL market rose by 49 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 2.9%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Anniston-Oxford-Jacksonville, AL unemployment rate is 48 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 17.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.4%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 12,800; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 9,100; -200
- Manufacturing: 6,600; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 5,000; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 4,500; no change
- Business Services: 4,200; no change
- Other Jobs: 1,900; no change
- Financial Services: 1,300; no change
- Construction, Mining: 1,100; no change
- IT & Development: 300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.