Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.3% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 3,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ market rose by 4,200 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 120 bps to 3.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ unemployment rate is 2 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 220 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 2.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.8% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 94,500; +600
- Education & Healthcare: 75,500; +1,100
- Business Services: 51,300; no change
- Manufacturing: 41,500; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 39,900; -2,400
- Government: 39,000; +3,800
- Construction, Mining: 14,800; no change
- Financial Services: 14,100; -100
- Other Jobs: 14,000; -200
- IT & Development: 5,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.