Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.9% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 2,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ market rose by 7,143 jobs in May and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.9%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ unemployment rate is 52 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 280 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 1.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.0% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 92,900; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 75,300; -400
- Business Services: 51,600; +1,000
- Manufacturing: 41,000; no change
- Government: 39,500; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 37,100; +2,300
- Construction, Mining: 14,300; +300
- Other Jobs: 14,200; +300
- Financial Services: 14,000; -100
- IT & Development: 5,700; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.