Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.4% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 3,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ market declined by 702 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 4.4%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ unemployment rate is 56 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 270 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 2.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.9% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 94,200; +500
- Education & Healthcare: 74,100; -900
- Business Services: 50,700; -100
- Manufacturing: 41,200; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 40,500; +3,500
- Government: 39,300; -200
- Construction, Mining: 15,000; +600
- Other Jobs: 14,300; +100
- Financial Services: 14,000; -100
- IT & Development: 5,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.