Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 4.4% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 3,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ market rose by 1,780 jobs in July and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Allentown-Bethlehem-Easton, PA-NJ unemployment rate is 62 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 260 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 1.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.3%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 94,400; +400
- Education & Healthcare: 74,200; +300
- Business Services: 51,200; +400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 42,500; +1,300
- Manufacturing: 41,400; no change
- Government: 35,100; -3,800
- Construction, Mining: 14,800; -100
- Other Jobs: 14,500; +200
- Financial Services: 14,100; no change
- IT & Development: 5,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.