Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.2% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 5,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY market declined by 2,729 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 3.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY unemployment rate is 58 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 130 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 3.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.1%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 91,700; -5,400
- Education & Healthcare: 89,900; -800
- Transportation & Utilities: 74,600; -500
- Business Services: 60,400; +500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 38,500; +100
- Financial Services: 27,700; +300
- Manufacturing: 26,200; +200
- Construction, Mining: 21,200; +500
- Other Jobs: 17,600; no change
- IT & Development: 7,700; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.