Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.3% with the biggest shift in Education & Healthcare, which lost 800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY market declined by 1,591 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.3%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Albany-Schenectady-Troy, NY unemployment rate is 49 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 0.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.1%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 92,300; +600
- Education & Healthcare: 89,200; -800
- Transportation & Utilities: 74,500; no change
- Business Services: 60,900; +400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 38,100; no change
- Financial Services: 27,200; no change
- Manufacturing: 25,900; -200
- Construction, Mining: 20,700; -500
- Other Jobs: 17,600; no change
- IT & Development: 7,500; -100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.