Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 3,700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Akron, OH market declined by 1,680 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Akron, OH unemployment rate is 48 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 60 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 6.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.1% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 64,900; -500
- Education & Healthcare: 53,600; +200
- Business Services: 49,500; -200
- Government: 39,900; +3,700
- Manufacturing: 37,000; -300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 31,500; -2,100
- Construction, Mining: 15,800; -300
- Financial Services: 13,800; no change
- Other Jobs: 12,500; -300
- IT & Development: 5,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.