Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Watertown-Fort Drum, NY market rose by 927 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.5%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Watertown-Fort Drum, NY unemployment rate is 34 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 1.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 2.7% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 11,600; +300
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,400; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 6,600; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 5,500; +500
- Business Services: 2,300; no change
- Manufacturing: 1,900; no change
- Construction, Mining: 1,800; +100
- Other Jobs: 1,800; no change
- Financial Services: 1,400; no change
- IT & Development: 500; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.