Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 2.7% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 1,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Waterloo-Cedar Falls, IA market declined by 296 jobs in July and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Waterloo-Cedar Falls, IA unemployment rate is 108 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 170 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 11.6% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.1%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 18,600; no change
- Manufacturing: 17,100; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 13,700; +100
- Government: 11,300; -1,000
- Restaurants & Hotels: 7,600; no change
- Business Services: 6,800; no change
- Financial Services: 4,300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.