Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.2% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Utica-Rome, NY market rose by 706 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 70 bps to 3.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Utica-Rome, NY unemployment rate is 12 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 3.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 30,500; +1,000
- Education & Healthcare: 25,700; +400
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,200; -100
- Manufacturing: 11,100; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,700; -600
- Business Services: 7,900; -100
- Financial Services: 7,800; -100
- Other Jobs: 4,600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.