Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Utica-Rome, NY market rose by 1,055 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Utica-Rome, NY unemployment rate is 45 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 240 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 0.3% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 30,000; +300
- Education & Healthcare: 25,800; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,200; +100
- Manufacturing: 11,200; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,000; no change
- Financial Services: 7,800; no change
- Business Services: 7,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,400; no change
- Construction, Mining: 2,900; no change
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.