Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Utica-Rome, NY market rose by 835 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.5%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Utica-Rome, NY unemployment rate is 34 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 210 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 0.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.1% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 30,700; +500
- Education & Healthcare: 24,900; -400
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,400; +300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,300; +600
- Manufacturing: 11,100; -100
- Financial Services: 7,900; +100
- Business Services: 7,900; +100
- Other Jobs: 4,600; +100
- Construction, Mining: 3,400; +100
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.