Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.4% with the biggest shift in Construction, Mining, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Utica-Rome, NY market rose by 312 jobs in April and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 3.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 42 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Utica-Rome, NY unemployment rate is 6 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 220 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in April versus prior month by -0.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 30,200; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 25,700; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,000; -200
- Manufacturing: 11,100; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 10,200; +200
- Financial Services: 7,800; no change
- Business Services: 7,800; +100
- Other Jobs: 4,500; +100
- Construction, Mining: 3,100; +200
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through April 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 1, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.