Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.7% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI market rose by 731 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 3.7%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI unemployment rate is 14 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 140 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 1.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 33,600; -200
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,700; +100
- Manufacturing: 16,100; +100
- Government: 14,800; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,400; +300
- Business Services: 14,200; no change
- Construction, Mining: 6,300; no change
- Financial Services: 6,100; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,300; +100
- IT & Development: 1,400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.