Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.1% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI market rose by 913 jobs in February and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.1%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- South Bend-Mishawaka, IN-MI unemployment rate is 104 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 230 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 7.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 32,700; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 25,400; -100
- Manufacturing: 15,700; +100
- Government: 14,700; +200
- Business Services: 14,200; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 13,400; +200
- Financial Services: 6,000; no change
- Construction, Mining: 5,700; +100
- Other Jobs: 5,200; no change
- IT & Development: 1,400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.