Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which lost 3,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in December 2022.
Total employment in the Salisbury, MD-DE market declined by 3,213 jobs in October and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 4.5%. The national unemployment rate increased by 8 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Salisbury, MD-DE unemployment rate is 110 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 40 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in October versus prior month by -0.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.9%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 32,200; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 26,900; -3,800
- Education & Healthcare: 26,500; +300
- Government: 25,900; +800
- Business Services: 16,800; -300
- Manufacturing: 13,600; no change
- Construction, Mining: 9,800; -200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through October 2022 (Data published December 2022 and reports created on December 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.