Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 4,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Salisbury, MD-DE market rose by 4,100 jobs in May and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Salisbury, MD-DE unemployment rate is 82 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 120 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 4.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 2.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 32,300; -300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 27,900; +4,200
- Education & Healthcare: 26,200; +300
- Government: 24,800; -200
- Business Services: 16,400; -300
- Manufacturing: 13,500; no change
- Construction, Mining: 10,000; -100
- Financial Services: 6,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,700; no change
- IT & Development: 1,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.