Overall unemployment rate moved down to 5.3% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 1,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Salisbury, MD-DE market rose by 2,323 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 5.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Salisbury, MD-DE unemployment rate is 155 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 130 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.8% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 32,100; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 26,200; +500
- Government: 25,100; +400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 20,900; +1,300
- Business Services: 16,400; +700
- Manufacturing: 13,500; +100
- Construction, Mining: 9,600; -100
- Financial Services: 6,700; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,700; no change
- IT & Development: 1,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.