Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.4% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which lost 1,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Salisbury, MD-DE market declined by 1,537 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 4.4%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Salisbury, MD-DE unemployment rate is 61 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 3.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.7%. Key sectors include:
- Restaurants & Hotels: 36,300; -1,300
- Transportation & Utilities: 33,400; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 26,500; +500
- Government: 23,400; -100
- Business Services: 17,700; -300
- Manufacturing: 13,700; no change
- Construction, Mining: 10,200; -100
- Financial Services: 6,800; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,800; no change
- IT & Development: 1,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.