Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.6% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 3,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Portland-South Portland, ME market rose by 1,726 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.6%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Portland-South Portland, ME unemployment rate is 78 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 180 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 6.2% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 2.4% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 43,500; -200
- Transportation & Utilities: 37,500; +500
- Business Services: 31,600; +1,000
- Government: 23,100; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 22,900; +3,100
- Financial Services: 17,000; no change
- Manufacturing: 15,700; +100
- Construction, Mining: 10,500; +200
- Other Jobs: 7,800; +100
- IT & Development: 3,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.