Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.3% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 2,500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Portland-South Portland, ME market rose by 660 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Portland-South Portland, ME unemployment rate is 148 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 180 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 5.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.1% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 42,300; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 38,800; +600
- Business Services: 34,300; +1,000
- Restaurants & Hotels: 30,000; +2,500
- Government: 21,100; -2,100
- Financial Services: 17,100; no change
- Manufacturing: 15,800; -200
- Construction, Mining: 11,300; +300
- Other Jobs: 8,000; +100
- IT & Development: 3,300; +100
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.