Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 4.4% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 16,700 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD market rose by 20,601 jobs in July and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Philadelphia-Camden-Wilmington, PA-NJ-DE-MD unemployment rate is 62 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 250 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 4.1% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.1%. Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 653,500; -100
- Transportation & Utilities: 546,900; +1,000
- Business Services: 503,600; +5,600
- Government: 309,200; -16,700
- Restaurants & Hotels: 272,800; +3,700
- Financial Services: 221,500; +1,400
- Manufacturing: 180,800; +1,600
- Construction, Mining: 124,300; +400
- Other Jobs: 121,200; +1,100
- IT & Development: 50,600; +200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.