Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.2% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Parkersburg-Vienna, WV market declined by 199 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 4.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Parkersburg-Vienna, WV unemployment rate is 42 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 9.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -2.8%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 7,600; -400
- Education & Healthcare: 7,000; -100
- Manufacturing: 2,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.