Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.4% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Niles-Benton Harbor, MI market rose by 1,842 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 4.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Niles-Benton Harbor, MI unemployment rate is 65 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 230 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 11.8% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.3% . Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 12,000; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 10,500; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 9,400; +100
- Government: 8,400; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 6,700; +300
- Business Services: 5,600; +100
- Financial Services: 2,800; +100
- Other Jobs: 2,400; +100
- Construction, Mining: 2,000; no change
- IT & Development: 400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.