Overall unemployment rate moved down to 5.0% with the biggest shift in Business Services, which lost 600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Niles-Benton Harbor, MI market declined by 229 jobs in July and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 5.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Niles-Benton Harbor, MI unemployment rate is 122 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in July versus prior month by 13.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -1.5%. Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 12,100; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 10,600; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 9,300; -100
- Government: 7,800; -400
- Restaurants & Hotels: 7,700; +200
- Business Services: 5,000; -600
- Financial Services: 2,800; no change
- Other Jobs: 2,500; +100
- Construction, Mining: 2,200; no change
- IT & Development: 400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.