Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which lost 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Niles-Benton Harbor, MI market rose by 238 jobs in August and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 4.5%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Niles-Benton Harbor, MI unemployment rate is 71 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 10.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Manufacturing: 12,100; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 10,700; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 9,400; no change
- Government: 8,100; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 7,500; -200
- Business Services: 5,100; no change
- Financial Services: 2,800; no change
- Other Jobs: 2,500; no change
- Construction, Mining: 2,200; no change
- IT & Development: 400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.