Overall unemployment rate moved down to 7.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 1,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX market rose by 4,501 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 140 bps to 7.0%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- McAllen-Edinburg-Mission, TX unemployment rate is 325 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 310 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 7.4% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 84,500; -1,100
- Government: 62,200; +1,100
- Transportation & Utilities: 55,000; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 27,600; +400
- Business Services: 20,700; +100
- Financial Services: 8,800; no change
- Construction, Mining: 8,500; no change
- Manufacturing: 7,000; no change
- Other Jobs: 5,800; +100
- IT & Development: 2,800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.