Overall unemployment rate moved down to 4.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 11,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA market rose by 30,523 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 4.5%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Los Angeles-Long Beach-Anaheim, CA unemployment rate is 75 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 510 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 4.5% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Education & Healthcare: 1,118,600; +7,200
- Transportation & Utilities: 1,090,000; -2,400
- Business Services: 976,400; -2,600
- Government: 731,100; +2,500
- Restaurants & Hotels: 694,400; +11,000
- Manufacturing: 467,300; +1,200
- Financial Services: 324,400; +1,200
- Construction, Mining: 260,900; +3,400
- IT & Development: 251,200; -600
- Other Jobs: 197,200; +2,200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.