Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in September 2022.
Total employment in the Kennewick-Richland, WA market declined by 1,108 jobs in August and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 4.8%. The national unemployment rate stayed flat over the same time period at 3.8%.
- Kennewick-Richland, WA unemployment rate is 101 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in August versus prior month by 1.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.2%. Key sectors include:
- Business Services: 23,800; +300
- Transportation & Utilities: 20,800; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 19,400; +200
- Government: 17,700; -800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 13,100; -200
- Construction, Mining: 11,100; no change
- Manufacturing: 8,900; no change
- Financial Services: 4,300; +100
- Other Jobs: 3,800; no change
- IT & Development: 700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through August 2022 (Data published September 2022 and reports created on September 28, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.