Overall unemployment rate stayed flat at 5.3% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Kankakee, IL market rose by 1,173 jobs in July and the unemployment rate stayed flat. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Kankakee, IL unemployment rate is 152 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 100 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) stayed flat in July versus prior month and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.5%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 8,700; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 7,900; no change
- Manufacturing: 7,500; no change
- Government: 5,200; -400
- Business Services: 4,700; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 4,000; +100
- Other Jobs: 1,600; no change
- Financial Services: 1,500; no change
- Construction, Mining: 1,500; +100
- IT & Development: 300; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.