Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.1% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 1,600 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Kalamazoo-Portage, MI market rose by 1,348 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 4.1%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Kalamazoo-Portage, MI unemployment rate is 72 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 170 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 10.7% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.5%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,400; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 25,100; -200
- Manufacturing: 23,400; no change
- Business Services: 18,100; +200
- Government: 18,100; -1,600
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,600; +400
- Financial Services: 7,600; no change
- Construction, Mining: 7,000; +300
- Other Jobs: 5,300; no change
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.