Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.9% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Kalamazoo-Portage, MI market rose by 3,644 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 3.9%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Kalamazoo-Portage, MI unemployment rate is 15 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 210 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 11.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,600; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 25,100; -100
- Manufacturing: 23,400; +100
- Government: 20,000; +100
- Business Services: 17,400; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 14,000; +200
- Financial Services: 7,500; +100
- Construction, Mining: 6,500; +100
- Other Jobs: 5,200; no change
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.