Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.6% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Kalamazoo-Portage, MI market declined by 1,423 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 50 bps to 4.6%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Kalamazoo-Portage, MI unemployment rate is 76 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 150 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 10.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,300; -100
- Education & Healthcare: 25,100; -100
- Manufacturing: 23,800; +300
- Business Services: 18,300; +300
- Government: 18,000; -300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 15,100; +500
- Financial Services: 7,600; no change
- Construction, Mining: 7,200; +200
- Other Jobs: 5,400; no change
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.