Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Kalamazoo-Portage, MI market rose by 937 jobs in February and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 4.5%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Kalamazoo-Portage, MI unemployment rate is 36 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 90 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 9.9% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.9% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 26,700; no change
- Education & Healthcare: 25,100; +200
- Manufacturing: 23,300; +200
- Government: 20,000; +400
- Business Services: 17,200; +200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 13,900; +400
- Financial Services: 7,400; no change
- Construction, Mining: 6,300; -100
- Other Jobs: 5,300; no change
- IT & Development: 800; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.