Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.0% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 10,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN market rose by 7,272 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 3.0%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN unemployment rate is 84 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 120 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in June versus prior month by -1.4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 240,400; +2,000
- Business Services: 187,000; +2,900
- Education & Healthcare: 163,800; -1,200
- Government: 128,400; -10,100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 108,400; +2,600
- Manufacturing: 95,600; +800
- Financial Services: 77,800; +1,100
- Construction, Mining: 61,000; +1,700
- Other Jobs: 43,900; +2,100
- IT & Development: 12,600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.