Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.2% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 4,300 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN market rose by 7,450 jobs in July and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.2%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 5 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN unemployment rate is 58 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 40 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in July versus prior month by -2.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.6%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 241,400; +600
- Business Services: 183,300; -3,500
- Education & Healthcare: 164,200; -100
- Government: 124,600; -4,300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 107,000; -900
- Manufacturing: 95,100; -400
- Financial Services: 78,500; +700
- Construction, Mining: 61,700; +300
- Other Jobs: 45,300; +800
- IT & Development: 12,600; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through July 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on September 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.