Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.4% with the biggest shift in Financial Services, which gained 2,100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN market rose by 6,174 jobs in February and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 2.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Indianapolis-Carmel-Anderson, IN unemployment rate is 174 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 210 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in February versus prior month by -1.0% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.4% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 238,600; +600
- Business Services: 179,500; -200
- Education & Healthcare: 165,200; +1,400
- Government: 137,000; +100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 99,200; -1,000
- Manufacturing: 93,000; +1,300
- Financial Services: 76,500; +2,100
- Construction, Mining: 55,600; -1,200
- Other Jobs: 42,700; +900
- IT & Development: 12,400; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.