Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.1% with the biggest shift in Transportation & Utilities, which lost 100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Hattiesburg, MS market rose by 548 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 90 bps to 3.1%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Hattiesburg, MS unemployment rate is 65 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 260 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 16.8% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs stayed flat. Key sectors include:
- Government: 14,500; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 13,100; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 8,100; +100
- Manufacturing: 4,700; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.