Overall unemployment rate moved down to 2.3% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 2,900 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA market rose by 1,124 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 2.3%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA unemployment rate is 102 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 3.9% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.2%. Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 71,400; -1,000
- Financial Services: 56,300; -400
- Education & Healthcare: 53,000; +300
- Business Services: 52,100; -600
- Government: 46,600; +2,900
- Restaurants & Hotels: 35,800; -800
- Construction, Mining: 22,800; -600
- Manufacturing: 21,800; -200
- Other Jobs: 13,000; -200
- IT & Development: 6,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.