Overall unemployment rate moved up to 2.5% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 1,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA market rose by 4,230 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 2.5%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA unemployment rate is 134 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 240 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 4.6% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.6% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 73,000; +600
- Financial Services: 56,600; +200
- Education & Healthcare: 52,800; no change
- Business Services: 51,600; +600
- Government: 47,000; -1,200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 36,600; +1,400
- Construction, Mining: 23,200; +500
- Manufacturing: 22,200; +200
- Other Jobs: 13,200; +100
- IT & Development: 6,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.