Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.4% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 1,200 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA market rose by 4,404 jobs in February and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 3.4%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 28 bps over the same time to 4.1%.
- Des Moines-West Des Moines, IA unemployment rate is 74 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 160 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in February versus prior month by 4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.5% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 71,500; -800
- Financial Services: 56,300; -200
- Education & Healthcare: 52,800; +800
- Business Services: 50,000; +500
- Government: 47,800; +300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 33,200; +1,200
- Manufacturing: 21,800; +300
- Construction, Mining: 19,200; -300
- Other Jobs: 12,700; no change
- IT & Development: 6,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through February 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 6, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.