Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 500 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Columbus, GA-AL market rose by 268 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 10 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Columbus, GA-AL unemployment rate is 5 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 110 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in March versus prior month by 10.6% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 23,400; +500
- Transportation & Utilities: 18,500; +100
- Business Services: 16,400; -400
- Education & Healthcare: 16,300; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 15,100; +400
- Financial Services: 10,900; -100
- Manufacturing: 10,100; -100
- Construction, Mining: 4,600; no change
- Other Jobs: 4,000; no change
- IT & Development: 1,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.