Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.8% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 25,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI market rose by 33,058 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 60 bps to 4.8%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Chicago-Naperville-Elgin, IL-IN-WI unemployment rate is 96 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 280 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 962,200; +10,700
- Business Services: 857,200; +14,600
- Education & Healthcare: 725,300; -4,500
- Government: 529,100; -6,800
- Restaurants & Hotels: 484,700; +25,800
- Manufacturing: 413,200; +3,500
- Financial Services: 314,600; +1,200
- Construction, Mining: 194,400; +8,100
- Other Jobs: 189,000; +1,800
- IT & Development: 79,500; +1,500
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.