Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.4% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 7,400 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC market rose by 7,154 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.4%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC unemployment rate is 2 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 140 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in May versus prior month by 2.6% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.8% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 268,600; -1,000
- Business Services: 225,700; -1,400
- Government: 156,600; -200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 139,500; +7,400
- Education & Healthcare: 131,500; +400
- Financial Services: 118,200; +1,600
- Manufacturing: 109,500; +1,400
- Construction, Mining: 72,600; +1,700
- Other Jobs: 47,600; +1,000
- IT & Development: 24,600; -200
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.