Overall unemployment rate moved up to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Restaurants & Hotels, which gained 7,000 roles, based on the most recently available information published in August 2022.
Total employment in the Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC market rose by 8,502 jobs in June and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 40 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate increased by 46 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Charlotte-Concord-Gastonia, NC-SC unemployment rate is 4 bps below the national rate which is a positive sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 140 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in June versus prior month by 0.7% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 1.2% . Key sectors include:
- Transportation & Utilities: 272,800; +3,800
- Business Services: 229,300; +3,900
- Government: 153,300; -3,300
- Restaurants & Hotels: 145,700; +7,000
- Education & Healthcare: 132,200; +600
- Financial Services: 119,900; +1,600
- Manufacturing: 109,300; no change
- Construction, Mining: 74,100; +2,000
- Other Jobs: 47,900; +200
- IT & Development: 25,000; +300
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through June 2022 (Data published August 2022 and reports created on August 3, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.