Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.5% with the biggest shift in Government, which gained 7,800 roles, based on the most recently available information published in November 2022.
Total employment in the Champaign-Urbana, IL market rose by 6,287 jobs in September and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 80 bps to 3.5%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 47 bps over the same time to 3.3%.
- Champaign-Urbana, IL unemployment rate is 18 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 70 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) grew in September versus prior month by 2.3% and are up compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 7.8% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 39,900; +7,800
- Education & Healthcare: 18,900; +200
- Transportation & Utilities: 16,300; no change
- Restaurants & Hotels: 12,100; +300
- Business Services: 8,600; -100
- Manufacturing: 7,800; no change
- Financial Services: 4,300; -100
- Construction, Mining: 4,200; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through September 2022 (Data published November 2022 and reports created on November 2, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.