Overall unemployment rate moved up to 4.3% with the biggest shift in Government, which lost 900 roles, based on the most recently available information published in June 2022.
Total employment in the Champaign-Urbana, IL market declined by 929 jobs in May and the unemployment rate increased compared to the prior month by 30 bps to 4.3%. The national unemployment rate increased by 4 bps over the same time to 3.4%.
- Champaign-Urbana, IL unemployment rate is 92 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 20 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in May versus prior month by -1.1% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs declined by -0.6%. Key sectors include:
- Government: 39,900; -900
- Education & Healthcare: 18,800; +100
- Transportation & Utilities: 16,100; -200
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,700; +100
- Business Services: 8,500; no change
- Manufacturing: 7,800; no change
- Financial Services: 4,300; no change
- Construction, Mining: 4,000; +200
- Other Jobs: 3,400; no change
- IT & Development: 2,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through May 2022 (Data published June 2022 and reports created on June 29, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.