Overall unemployment rate moved down to 3.8% with the biggest shift in Construction, Mining, which gained 100 roles, based on the most recently available information published in April 2022.
Total employment in the Champaign-Urbana, IL market rose by 742 jobs in March and the unemployment rate decreased compared to the prior month by 20 bps to 3.8%. The national unemployment rate decreased by 39 bps over the same time to 3.8%.
- Champaign-Urbana, IL unemployment rate is 5 bps above the national rate which is a negative sign.
- Unemployment in the market is 150 bps below the unemployment rate in the market last year at this time, which is a positive.
- Average wages (per hour) declined in March versus prior month by -0.4% and are down compared to last year at this time in the market.
For key employment segments of the market, total jobs grew by 0.3% . Key sectors include:
- Government: 40,800; +100
- Education & Healthcare: 18,500; no change
- Transportation & Utilities: 16,300; -100
- Restaurants & Hotels: 11,200; +100
- Business Services: 8,500; +100
- Manufacturing: 7,800; +100
- Financial Services: 4,300; no change
- Construction, Mining: 3,600; +100
- Other Jobs: 3,300; no change
- IT & Development: 2,100; no change
Data is based on the most recent 12 months available, through March 2022 (Data published April 2022 and reports created on April 27, 2022). Source: Government data agency and locally acquired statistics.
Note: All reported data is not seasonally adjusted.